I don't really sweet often, however when the occasion happens I usually look for the best raw and least refined sugar option. Wholefood sweet goodness please. So when Mark and I were imagining the ultimate side-bite to enjoy with Mecca Coffee's The Black Forest we came up with this brownie. When enjoyed with the coffee's flavour notes of berries, cherries and chocolate, the bitter earthiness of the raw cacao combined with the sweetness of the dates will leave your tastebuds in an enchanted mess.
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups medjool dates
- 3/4 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup of cacao nibs
- 3 good pinches of salt
- Finely grind the walnuts in a food processor
- Add in the cacao and salt, pulsing to combine the mixture
- Add in the dates and mix until the mixture you have sticks together when pressed. If the mixture seems quite crumbly and does not pass the stick-test add in more dates
- Tip the mix into a large mixing bowl
- Add in the almonds, dried cherries and cacao nibs
- Mix well with a wooden spoon then press into a lined baking tray
- Place into the freezer until the brownies have set and are cold (minimum 1hr)
- Slice into squares and have fun garnishing with whatever...more cacao nibs, cinnamon, edible flowers, berries or if you are feeling fancy try some gold leaf
- You can use any sort of nut in this recipe. Don't have hazelnuts but have almonds: use them instead!
- Can't find medjool dates anywhere? Use any dates you can buy, however we suggest soaking them at least for 1 hour in warm water before using them
- No food processor but you have a stick mixer and chopper attachment? Complete steps 1-2 using the stick mixer and place the mixture into the mixing bowl. Blitz the dates next and add to the bowl. Then hit step 5 and continue.